There are places of worship that amuse us right from the first glimpse. It could be the divinity that they exude or the beauty of architecture – whatever the reason, they impress us. However, some places stick to our hearts instantly and stay there forever. Poomkavu Church at Pathirappilly in Alappuzha district has many special ways of sticking onto your heart. ‘Poomkavu’ means flower garden and yes, the beauty and aroma of a garden indeed reflects in every nook and corner of the historic church.
Situated on the outskirts of Alappuzha town, Poomkavu church is the popular name for Our Lady of Assumption Church. The Church was consecrated on 8th December 1860. The very same day, it was erected as a parish with the appointment of the first Parish Priest – Fr. Jorris Alvarez. The church was under the administration of the Syrian Rite between 1864 and 1886. In 1872, most of the church records were set on fire following the order of the Vicar Apostolic of Verapoly. On the 15th of August in the year 1895, a statue of Our Lady of Assumption was established over the main altar. The church compound is beautifully adorned with trees and indeed reminds us of a beautiful garden.